Monday, February 15, 2016

Unhappiness comes from believing that our life should be different than it currently is...

Ever notice that we crave lists?  To do lists, step-by-step instructions, shopping lists.  I know I need lists sometimes to make sense of my world.  I have so many balls juggling at once that I need to know by way of a list what ball NOT to drop.  What item can I not have go through the sieve that is sometimes my mind?

Most of the time, these lists are great.  They free up space in my brain or allow me to look at all the things I have to do and prioritize them so that I'm productive or catching my deadlines.  I get a great sense of accomplishment when I can cross off an item or two.  That's tangible progress!

Other times, my lists only go to show how far behind I am.  I try to cross off an item but then end up adding three more things to take its place.  My procrastination/low energy/Facebook habit has thwarted my productiveness! My list only goes to show how I'm not working faster or harder.  I'm not doing enough.

But...I am.  I'm doing exactly what I am capable of doing at this stage of my life.  I have to believe that.  I am who I am at this stage of my life.  And I have to be alright with that.  Because if I'm not alright with who I am now, how will I be alright with the person I will be in the future?

Unhappiness comes from believing that our life should be different than it currently is.  So, what's the inverse of that?  Happiness comes from believing that our life is how it should be at this moment in time.  That doesn't mean that it can't be different than what it is now.  Of course we have the power to change.  But the power to change doesn't invalidate who we are right now.  Our current state of being is who we need to be NOW to be the person we want to be in the FUTURE.  We just have to trust ourselves enough to evolve from the NOW to the FUTURE.

And by "we", I mean "me".

No comments:

Post a Comment